This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more

Electrical Safety

Landlords are responsible for ensuring that the electrical system and any electrical appliances that they supply are safe to use.

This may include cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and immersion heaters.

New safety rules

New rules for electrical safety in the home came into effect on 1 January 2005 in England and Wales.

From this date, people carrying out electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms or outdoors or adding new circuits to any part of the property must follow the new rules in the Building Regulations.

The alternative is to get the work carried out by a qualified electrician who is registered under a Competent Person Scheme.

Competent Person Schemes

The benefits of using members of these schemes include:

  • They can deal with all the new safety rules for you.
  • They are qualified to carry out electrical work.
  • They will give you a certificate to confirm their work follows the new rules.
  • You will not have to pay Building Control charges.
  • You will have the option of taking out an insurance-backed guarantee for the work.
  • You will have access to a formal complaints procedure if you are not happy with the work.

Contractors registered under these schemes are certified as competent to do all electrical work:

BRE Certification Ltd 0870 609 6093
British Standards Institution 01442 230442
ELECSA Limited 0870 749 0080
NAPIT Certification Limited 0870 444 1392
NICEIC Certification Services Ltd 0800 013 0900

Contractors registered under these schemes are certified as competent to do electrical work only if it is necessary when they are carrying out other work:

CORGI Services Limited 01256 372200
OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association) 0845 658 5080