This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more

Court Form N5 - Claim form for Possession of Property

This is the Court form a landlord or property owner uses to apply to the court for a possession order for residential property that has been let on an assured shorthold tenancy (AST).

How to complete an N5 Claim Form

(You can download the N5 Claim Form at the bottom of this page)

In The...... (top right hand corner)

This is where you put the name of the court nearest to the property you are seeking possession of. A simple way of finding this is by using the Court and tribunal finder service here:  court finder service

Claim Number and Fee Details 

Leave this blank for the Court to complete on receipt of the claim form.


This is where you put the name including title and address of the landlord and more than one if there are joint landlords.


You need to list all the tenants including their titles and full names and their address.

The claimant is claiming possession of :

Write the address/name of the property you wish to claim possession of.

This claim will be heard on: 

Leave this for the court to complete.

Defendant’s name and address for service

This is the address the court service will use to notify the tenants about the court claim for possession.  List all tenants and their addresses and use a separate piece of paper if necessary. 

Court Fee

Insert the amount you need to pay the Court currently £355.

Issue Date

Leave this blank for the court to complete.

Grounds for possession The claim for possession is made on the following ground(s):

Tick the relevant box for your situation.  The most common is rent arrears but if this claim for possession follows a Section 21 Notice and there is rent outstanding then tick rent arrears and other.

Is the claimant claiming demotion of tenancy?  Is the claimant claiming an order suspending the right to buy? 

The answer is usually 'no' but if the answer is 'yes' you may wish to consider getting legal advice due to the complexity and risk.

* (I believe)(The claimant believes) that the facts stated in this claim form are true. * I am duly authorised by the claimant to sign this statement

Where the claimant is an individual you state 'I believe' but where the claimant is a limited company you use the second phrase 'the claimant believes'.


Go to:  Particulars of claim  Form N119A