This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more
Residential Tenancy Agreement

How to write a tenancy agreement and what needs to go in it?

A tenancy agreement is a key document in any rental situation. It not only protects the landlord's interests, but it also sets out the rules and expectations for both parties. So, what should go into a tenancy agreement? Here are some key points:

- The names of the landlord and tenant/s

- The address of the property

- The length of the tenancy

- The rental amount and payment schedule

- A description of the property (including any furnishings or appliances that are included)

- The rules and regulations of the tenancy (such as quiet hours, visitors, pets, etc.)

Having a clear and concise tenancy agreement is essential for a smooth landlord-tenant relationship. By covering all the key points, you can help avoid misunderstandings and potential conflict down the road.

In addition to a clear Tenancy Agreement you have a repsonsibility to do the following:

As a landlord, you are required to provide your tenant with a copy of the latest edition of the government's 'How to Rent' guide. This is so that tenants are aware of their rights and responsibilities as renters. The booklet must be provided in printed form, but if your tenant agrees, you may send them an electronic version as an email attachment. Make sure that you always provide the most up-to-date edition of the booklet, as outdated versions may no longer be accurate.

Tenants in England and Wales are also protected by the law when it comes to their deposits. Deposits must be protected by a government-approved scheme and landlords must provide tenants with information about the scheme that they are using.
This information includes:

- The name and contact details of the deposit protection scheme
- How to apply for the return of the deposit at the end of the tenancy

If a landlord fails to protect a tenant's deposit or provide this information, they may be ordered to pay the tenant up to three times the amount of the deposit.
Tenants should also be aware that, under new rules that came into effect in 2019, they may be able to claim back their deposit if it not protected in line with the requirements.

If you're renting out a property, there are a few pieces of important information that you need to give to your tenants. This includes an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and a Gas Safety Certificate.
An EPC is required by law if you're renting out a property. It shows the energy efficiency of the property and gives it a rating from A (the most efficient) to G (the least efficient). The minimum energy rating that a property must have is 'E'. 
A Gas Safety Certificate is also required by law if you're renting out a property. It shows that the gas appliances in the property have been checked and are safe to use. The certificate is valid for 12 months and must be renewed every year.

You should give your tenant a copy of both the EPC and Gas Safety Certificate at the start of the tenancy. This will ensure that they have all the important information about the property and can be confident that it is safe to live in.

As a landlord, there are certain things you should do to help your tenants feel at home and confident in their new property. One way to do this is by providing them with some essential information about the property and its amenities. Here are a few things to include:
-A copy of the electrical safety certificate (if available)
-Operating manuals for any appliances or boiler in the property
-Contact information for important people or services, like the landlord/property manager, local police, and utility companies
By taking care of your tenants' needs, you can create a positive relationship from the start that will benefit both parties involved.

Residential Tenancy Agreement