This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more

Gas Safety in rented properties

According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), around 30 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by defective or incorrectly installed gas appliances and flues. Many others also suffer illness as a result of poor maintenance of gas fittings and flues.

For this reason, it is very important that all gas appliances and flues are properly installed, maintained, and serviced, by Gas Safe registered engineer (previously CORGI-registered).

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 sets out the specific duties of landlords in relation to the installation, maintenance and use of gas appliances, fittings and flues in rental properties.

Landlords also have more general responsibilities to their tenants under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

Responsibilities of the landlord

Under these laws and regulations, landlords of domestic rental properties with leases under 7 years have the following responsibilities:

    • Ensuring that all gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe condition.
    • Ensuring that an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue.
    • Ensuring that all installation, maintenance and safety checks are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
    • Keeping a record of each safety check for at least two years.
    • Issuing a copy of the latest safety check to existing tenants within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in.
    • Ensuring that any defects to gas fitting and flues that are discovered are rectified before the equipment is used again.


Under these laws and regulations, the landlord is not responsible for the following:

  • Any gas appliances that are the private property of the tenant.
  • Any flues that are connected only to such personally owned appliances.
  • Gas appliances that are exclusively used in any non-residential part of the property.

More information

To find a Gas Safe registered engineer (previously CORGI-registered) visit the Gas Safe Register website.

For further information on gas safety, visit :

Health & Safety Executive (HSE):
Communities and Local Government Department